Saturday, December 1, 2007

Alcatraz!

I have always wanted to go to Alcatraz.
Nobody I know who has visited San Francisco with me has ever wanted to go, though.
So on Friday Nov 30th I went on my own.
Well, Kore my camera went too.
It was a beautiful day.

I learned all sorts of Interesting Things about Alcatraz.
First, I got a Stamp there. (Ha!)
Second, it was a civil war era military post (these are the main buildings you see from the dock.)
Also, American Indians occupied the island for 19 months (1969-1971) in a political statement to try to better conditions on the reservations.
And Despite the fact that Dad shudders whenever I voice interest in visiting Alcatraz, it is one of the Bay area's most popular tourist attractions. (!)


It has a very scenic lighthouse, too.
(The prisons are less scenic so I did not put any of the pictures of them on my blog.
If you are interested in historical prison architecture, you can ask to see my picture collection some other time.)

1 comment:

Birrd said...

I'm so glad you finally got to go to Alcatraz! You know I would have gone with you if I could.