Tuesday, May 22, 2007

More flowers


When I visited Alibates Flint Quarry in Texas, they told me that 2007 had been the wettest spring in the Panhandle for two decades.
These yellow flowers, which the park ranger called Navajo Tea, stretched for literally acres and acres.
They were beautiful even in the flatlight of midday (I wish I could have stayed until evening light!)
In case you are wondering why all the dead mesquite trees (I wondered myself), the ranger told me that the local ranchers and oil digging folks have been spraying some kind of chemical to kill only the mesquite.
It gives the landscape a forlorn air, even with that incredible carpet of wildflowers.





Another thing blooming like crazy was the yuccas. Fields and fields of these were visible throughout all Northern Texas.

No comments: